Tea stains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone please tell me how I can remove tea stains from the inside of a white china mug. These have built up over a period of months due to my leaving the mug with a small amount of tea in the bottom before washing it.

Sponsored Links
The lazy way: bleach, followed by a (very) good rinse. Or bit of elbow grease with a green scouring pad. Not hard to remove.

Many thanks to Shytalkz and anobium for your immediate responses to my problem. Unfortunately I recently lost my wife and and now realize how hopeless I am at general housework. I will now be able to hopefully have nice clean mugs again.

Sponsored Links
Very sorry to hear that Micky, I'm sure that I speak for everyone on the site in offering you our condolences.

I will now be able to hopefully have nice clean mugs again.

Good to hear that you're making the effort Micky, there are many that don't after losing their other half and let things like housework fall by the wayside. I second Shyz comment.

Welcome to DIYnot, we've got all the advice you'll ever need. (and a lot more that you don't :D )

Thankyou everyone for your help and support which is very much appreciated. I tried the bleach as I did not have any sand and I must say the mugs have come up just like new. I will certainly use the site next time I have a problem and once again sincere thanks to you all.

Sorry to hear of your loss too, when my wife died my housekeeping skills disappeared completely ! took a new job and home to 'wake me up' again.

Another way of getting rid of tea / tannin stains in mugs or cups or the insides of teapots is to fill them with hot water and drop in a Steradent tablet - the stuff you buy in tubes to clean dentures with.

I find it easier to drop half a dozen tablets into a bowl of hot water then put the stained items in the bowl overnight.

Safer than bleach and little scrubbing to do :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back