COOKER FUSES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
NEED TO REPLACE FUSE( TYPE Q O/E B.S.3871 PART 1.) IN THE CONSUMER UNIT CANNOT FIND REPLACEMENT, ANY IDEAS OF POSSIBLE SUPPLIERS.

THANKS
:confused:

Sponsored Links
BS 3871 (Part 1 - 1965) refers to circuit breakers, not fuses and they have been superseded by BS EN 60898.

If you are lucky a dusty old local wholesaler might still have one on the shelves, otherwise you'll need to consider upgrading your consumer unit, or adding an additional one.

What make is it?? I may be able to tell you if a new version 60898 will fit in the same board.

thanks for the reply,

It's the consumer unit in our Scout group thats causing the problem, it's wired for a cooker but it trips the circuit breaker when you use 3 or 4 rings at once.

Would think the unit is about 15 years old as this is when the building refurbished. All we can see on the circuit breaker is:-
type Q O/E B.S. 3871 part 1,
240v 1ph. 50-60hz,
415v 3ph 50-60hz
there is also a name, SQU-RE not sure what the middle letter is.

Many thanks again.
driver :confused: :cry:

Sponsored Links
Not square D?? Their old boards are obsolete now, no breakers anywhere.

What rating is the cooker?? (k-watts). Has it always tripped, or more recently??

Had any electrical work done to the kitchen?? Extra sockets etc??

Plug anything into the socket (if any) on the cooker switch??

you really need a sparky

i suspect he will have to change the whole board to uprate the one cuircuit

Square D QO-E breakers are available, the boards may be obsolete, but they still supply the MCBs. Try any Electrical wholesaler, they will have a source for them.
you might have to pay over the odds, but hey, cheaper than a new CU.

Square D did a board with breakers slightly wider than usual. These ARE NOT available anymore. A company bought up ALL the mcb's from Square D, and they are available through wholesalers, but they only have 3ph C10's left.

You're confusing them with Federal Lectrician, a company in Birmingham bought all of the old Federal MCB's and as you suggested, have only 10A TP and 6A TP ones left now.
I assure you, the Square D QO-E range is STILL available.
They are the ones with _(_)_ shaped terminals top and bottom.

You have not said why you think the mcb is faulty yet. MCB are supposed to trip if something is drawing too much current. Quite sure there are no cracked rings on the cooker, might be pulling more curren than it should?

treacleman said:
You're confusing them with Federal Lectrician, a company in Birmingham bought all of the old Federal MCB's and as you suggested, have only 10A TP and 6A TP ones left now.
I assure you, the Square D QO-E range is STILL available.
They are the ones with _(_)_ shaped terminals top and bottom.

You have me bang-to-rights. We have been trying to source federal ones for a while, with no luck. Everyone keeps saying square D will fit - which it doesnt. This is where my confusion has come from. (i have sq d on the brain). Either make is cr*p though :D

driver said:
It's the consumer unit in our Scout group thats causing the problem
You may have thought of this, but have you asked the boys if any of their parents are electricians?

Or the parents in any other regular users of the hut, if there are any?

I'm almost certain there will be public liability issues with any non-qualified person working on the electrics.....

Welcome, please read the forum rules.

I was unsbale to split your post :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back