Hanging a heavy mirror safely....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved house and would like to hang a mirror off a wall in the lounge. The mirror is 104cm x 74cm and weighs 15kg. The mirror will be hung lengthways and as such there are 2 hooks in the frame (one each side) to hang it. The wall is 148cm across (see pics attached).
The wall I wish to hang it on juts out 19cm into the lounge (it is what the fireplace is set into) and I presume it is plasterboard as when I tap it in certain areas most of it sounds hollow. It does feel more solid around the edges and parts of the middle.
As such how do I fix the mirror without it falling off? I keep reading about all the different fixings for screws into plasterboard but don't know which to use. Where the mirror fixings are positioned I will be drilling into a hollow area behind the wall. For info the wall that this area juts out from I think is also plasterboard as the areas around it sound hollow when tapped. I do not know what type of plasterboard it is or the thickness.

Please advise what I need to buy and do to hang this mirror safely.

Many thanks

Ed

View media item 3483 View media item 3484 View media item 3485

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back