neighbours cellar flooded - causing problems at mine

M

marsaday

our neighbours cellar has a damaged drain and so no water is disappearing away. instead the water is backing up and sitting there. over time it has leached through into our kitchen (black mould).

the problem is sorted now, or will be soon enough. digging down and replacing the damaged drain will probably cost £10k so this is out of the question. he is going to put a pump down there and pump out into his foul waste.

How long will it take to dry out down there so we can paint the walls again and is he liable for any damage on my property.

the property is rented out and the neighbours are tennants.

Sponsored Links
digging down and replacing the damaged drain will probably cost £10k so this is out of the question.
it is not out of the question, it has got to be done.

this is a public health issue you should take up with your local council.

your neighbour is liable for the damage. notify your household insurers, also see if you have Legal Expenses cover to help claim your costs from your neighbour

spoke to the environmental health at council and they say neighbour isnt liable for my damages.

instead of digging out the small terrace (reinforcing with metal as you go) the simple solution is to pump it out and away. this is solving the problem is it not and so is not a health and saftey issue. if it was the foul water pipe damaged then that would be a different matter.

Any idea anyone how long the wall in my kitchen will take to dry out? thanks

Sponsored Links
In what kind of crazy world is your neighbour not liable for the damage? Are environmental health smoking crack? :eek:

they said a bust pipe is an accident etc. anyway i dont really want to claim off them because it will be more hassle .

more importantly does anyone know how long a cellar wall, which has had water sat against it for 6 mths, will take to dry out. just a rough idea. i thought maybe 6 mths. longer ? less maybe ?

They are liable, their insurance (if they have it) will need to be claimed off.

i wonder is any damage to foundations etc may have been cause by this water being there for 6 months. And if they have installed a pump i pursume your always going to have a small amount of water on the floor before the pump kicks in, this will also seep through.

they said a bust pipe is an accident etc. anyway i dont really want to claim off them because it will be more hassle .

more importantly does anyone know how long a cellar wall, which has had water sat against it for 6 mths, will take to dry out. just a rough idea. i thought maybe 6 mths. longer ? less maybe ?
approx 1 month for each inch thickness of the wall.

rather amusingly, a sump pump will tend to take out water plus mud plus other suspended solids. the mud and solids are the earth that the house stands on, washed away by water. over time this will be pumped away leaving a cavity where the earth has been washed away and pumped down the drain. this hole gets bigger and bigger until your house falls into it.

ok so drying will take over a yr then. thanks.

by the time the pump has pumped away the foundations i will have sold the house - maybe in 20 yrs time say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back