Faulty circuit or MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All the lights on a lighting circuit now fail to function, although a flicker was seen to continue from a fluorescent light after the fault occurred. I have measured a voltage of about 20 to 30 volts across the terminal of a switch suggesting (to me) that the circuit is intact and the fault lies elsewhere, probably in the MCB (type B6). Before I call in an electrician, could anyone suggest an alternative explanation?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
lighting circuit failure is most often a loose connection in a ceiling rose. Start by looking at the first one on the circuit, probably nearest to the consumer unit. the fittings that get hottest (e.g. downlighters) are more likely.

You need a multimeter, a neon screwdriver will not do.

If you have any junction boxes hidden away inside the ceiling it might be there

You could move the circuit wires to a 'known' working MCB just to confirm the fault is on the wiring and not at the MCB.

Problem fixed! I took the cover off the consumer unit prior to checking the MCB as suggested, and saw that the neutral wire had broken from its terminal. A few seconds work and all is well again. A good job too as I didn't fancy locating and checking the junction boxes. Is this a cautionary tale for not overtightening terminal screws?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
So is this...

IMGP1661.jpg

:eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back