How on earth do you fit the shower tray waste?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got me shower tray, a big heavy cast stone one, and I am thinking about how to mount it with its waste attached. I have a marine ply sheet, which I could raise a bit on a frame (though not much) and it will be moratred onto it. Access under the tray is then pretty non-existant.

The waste trap that came with it says it can be attached before the tray goes into position, but I dont see I would then get to the waste pipe to attach it to the waste. Am I missing something? A brain, for example?

Sponsored Links
HI

Fitting shower tray on the floorboards=cut out piece of floorboard outside the tray area so that you can fit/adjust the waste

fitting shower tray on the concrete floor=raise the tray using bricks/blocks
then you have gap to fit the waste.

Very useful info, thanks. But I still dont see how I will be able to reach the 760mm or so under the tray, as the waste will be in a back corner.

Sponsored Links
I think No-04 is a little misleading.
A stone resin tray can be laid direct unto the floor slab without being raised on a plinth.
New builds mostly !.
A section under the proposed area for the tray is left un-screeded by the flooring contractor.
The drain pipe will already be in place and fitted within a reasonably accurate position of the drain outlet in the tray .

Then set the tray in place temporarily and mark accurately where the outlet is and fit the shower trap to the pipe below and check for leaks.
Apply silicone to the mating surfaces of the rubber seal !.
Screed the remaining area and fit the tray.
Then screw down the threaded connector from above.
Even if you raise the tray on a plinth you can do this.

This is an aqua-deck installation but is similar to the method used for the stone resin tray regarding positioning of the trap...................
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isz8yri0u3Y

HI

the trick is before buying the tray make sure that the waste hole is at the front or in a place that is within hand distance.and always leave cut out in the floor boards for future services.

U can do it without havign access.. just got to make sure trap is in bang on spot and height and then bed your tray over it and screw in top part of trap tight.

But u have to have trust in yourself this way.

Very useful info, thanks. But I still dont see how I will be able to reach the 760mm or so under the tray, as the waste will be in a back corner.
Have you measured your arm?

In any case, you'd only ever need to reach it for maintenance, and if you do it right then no maintenance will ever be necessary.

Follow seco's excellent advice, and ignore the people who talk about getting the position and height exactly right - the latter are the installers whose work I end up correcting, countless times, for example after new builds settle in, or floors move, or the installer got it a weeny bit wrong and the resultant strain on the pipework eventually leads to a crack. :rolleyes:

Softus wrote

or the installer got it a weeny bit wrong

Well as an installer I don't get it a teeny bit wrong.
Fitted level on the floor is the best method. It avoids the step associated with shower trays.
If you want to advise using an inferior method then thats fine.
And if any of my customers ever had a problem then I would rectify it.
Inexperienced bodgers like you would presumably remove the tray and raise it up unto an ugly platform. :rolleyes:

Thanks all. Got it done. In the end I looped string round the waste, and when I'd got the tray in place I pulled the waste up to the hold and screwed the top part down into it, (having removed the string). Won't know if un-successful until water stains appear downstairs. Joy.

Fitting shower tray on the floorboards=cut out piece of floorboard outside the tray area so that you can fit/adjust the waste

Until a problem and the ceiling below has to be cut away.

fitting shower tray on the concrete floor=raise the tray using bricks/blocks
then you have gap to fit the waste.

And then your head is on the ceiling.

Can't win can you.

Have you measured your arm?

In any case, you'd only ever need to reach it for maintenance, and if you do it right then no maintenance will ever be necessary.

On what do you base this article of faith?

Move along BigBurner; there's no heat store here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back