Double storey extension, ridge connection.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all,

I would like some info on the following..

end of terrace, 30' pitched roof.

I am considering building a double storey side extension (or at least designing it) and would like to know how to connect the new roof to the existing roof for the following designs.

1) continuing the ridge line from the existing house and extending out, i.e how would I connect the ridge of the new roof to the existing roof?

2) if I was to step the new extension down by c400mm, i.e. have a lower ridge line, how would I connect to the existing wall? with steel hangers?

thanks in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links
the ridges don't particularly need connecting.

the design of the new roof should ensure that the ridge is secure and the rafters and joists are strapped in such a way that it is independently sound.

it does not hurt to fix an angle bracket or in-line plates connecting the new ridge to the existing building to prevent any sway until you have the new roof secure.

2) if I was to step the new extension down by c400mm, i.e. have a lower ridge line, how would I connect to the existing wall? with steel hangers?

in this instance you would remove some of the gable brickwork exposing the end rafter allowing the new ridge to go through and touch the existing rafter.

you could then use an angle bracket to keep it from swaying.

the rafters are there to 'grab' the ridge board. your new gable masonry should deal with lateral movement.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back