loadbearing stone wall dilemma!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My problem is thus, I want to create a 5ft opening in an original external stone wall that's 2ft wide. It has a bedroom and bathroom extention (upstairs) with their door openings leading off from this external wall. Downstairs has a kitchen extention with a door leading off from this external wall. It also holds a slate and timber roof. It's in a row of terraces that all have this same extention. My main problem is that I'm unsure as to how long the rsj or other support has to be to support this opening. I don't know how to work out the calculations for this?, which is the best support i.e. rsj to use?. Do I need planning permission and is there anything else I should be doing in order to support the structure whilst work is being carried out?. I have had a few quotes but they vary so much and my husband wasn't convinced by one builders idea of rsj length - only 15cm overhanging for either side. Thought someone out would be able to give me sound advice so we will be able to sleep at night once it's done properly. Thanks to all who reply.

Sponsored Links
Just wanted to add that the living room that I want to open into the kitchen is 17ft by 17ft and the kitchen is 17ft by 9ft if that helps, thanks to all.

This is one of those instances when size really does not matter and 150mm bearing is too much - 100mm will do.

You don't need PP unless you are in a conservation area, a listed property or if there is any other specific planning restriction on the house - unlikely unless your property has some special interest

Thanks Woody. As the wall is 2ft thick would you know just how many I would need?, also I'm sure once I read that due to fire regs (i think, but don't quote me) that the rsj would need to be covered by some kind of board?? thanks again Woody.

Sponsored Links
It depends on how this stone wall is constructed.

If you have large stones spanning most of the widths, then you can space a few beams out.

If the wall has lots of smaller stones within it, then beams will need to go closer together.

But as this is notifiable work, then you really should be getting b/regs approval, and it may involve having the beams designed (ie correctly calculated).

The beams will need fire protection, but its just some 12.5mm plasterboard and skim plaster

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back