RSJ Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the midst of a pretty major extension, two storey to the side with two ground floor kitchen walls coming out to create extended kitchin/diner. The RSJ was installed yesterday which spans across the back of the kitchen for about 2 m, then outside a further 2 m to a newly constructed pier. At present the ceiling in the kitchen by the wall is propped, but absolutely no support for the external wall above the window, the rsj is above the existing window lintel. Does this sound correct, builder assures me "this is the way we do it".

Also, no pier has yet been constructeed for the end of the beam that is within the existing wall, the intention being to construct this once the wall below comes out. At present it is just resting on the existing wall. All seems a bit scary to me when we are talking about a total span of some 5m. Finally the beam is not primed in any way, should this worry me ?

Images just added in all their gory detail !

Sponsored Links
If you clickonmy profile you "should" see the images..............., a strongboy has now been added outside, but still not entirely happy !

Sponsored Links
Nice one,thanks. A strong boy (just the one !) has now been added outside. All the ground works are complete, all that is missing is the foundation for the pier that should be supporting the end of the beam currently resting on the half-brick. The builder advised that it would be fine to rest the beam for a short period of time and get on with the rest of the build to avoid the disruption of removing the back wall of the kitchen early on. Once ready for the knock though he will dig the foundation and construt the pier up to the beam. The acros are long gone !

The only criteria with this work is that the wall above stays up.

This job has passed

Latest view showing strongboy in place, like you say the wall above is still in place, just hope it stays that way ! Acro's still in place in kitchen and with the floor joists above tightly wedged in the rsj I guess that they are doing their bit to support the wall above as well. Note freshly painted beam, am I paranoid ?!

Paint the beam after installation? :confused:

And what size is that beam? Seems slightly overspec. Unless the corner of the house isn't going to be holding up the middle of it.

correct me if im wrong but are the steels supposed to be sitting on padstones .Im sure the BCO wont like that .

correct me if im wrong but are the steels supposed to be sitting on padstones .Im sure the BCO wont like that .

once steels are in place it is relatively easy to prop the steel and retro-fit any padstones.

We've just had similar completed.
The entire back of the house opened up plus half the right hand side.
in the pic below the previous house ended where the columns are.

The engineer required 4x900mm cube padstones to be put in under each column. In total 9 RSJs were required.

I think they did as Noseall suggested and put the horizontals in first and then the uprights.

You're talking at x-purposes: under the columns are pad foundations; padstones go under the ends of beams.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back