Urgent conservatory advice please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I have posted in the past about an ongoing problem I have been having getting a conservatory built.

We have had plans approved for a small conservatory on the back of our house. The problem is that there is an existing manhole under the corner of the proposed structure, and a private foul drain running all they way along it’s front wall. (full length glass panes)

The company who we employed to build it said that they would re-site the manhole outside the unit, and user a cantilever footing to bridge over the length of the drain.

When they arrived to do it, they just built over the manhole and poured concrete on top of the drain to create a footing! I asked them to demolish it, and build it to the original specification using new contractors. They agreed.

The new contractor arrived, and has moved the manhole and ‘deleted’ the old one. He has encased the drain pipe itself in pea shingle and boxed it in before pouring the concrete on. This should take any weight off the drain, apparently.

Is this a proper cantilever footing?? I was under the impression that two footings would be dug quite a long way from the pipe, and then some sort of bridging built across.

Building control will not get involved, and a local surveyor that I have appointed seems to think that it is an ‘ok’ way of doing it but I am not so sure – after all of this time I don’t want to have to pull it down again in a few years if there are problems with the drains.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. It is built now, and looks much better than the first.

One thing that I am a little concerned about is that one part of the brickwork moves. It is a slim pier that goes between a door opening and window - 2 bricks wide with blocks behind.

If you push this lightly it moves (the original one was exactly the same), and the builder says this is because the pier is so narrow - once the top, door and window goes in, it should be fine.

Does this sound reasonable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back