Dislodged bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am in the process of replacing a UPVC back door and window. The previous owners of the house had put an abomination ... *ahem* ... I mean lean-to conservatory on the back of the house, which I am going to demolish. They had also plastered in the exterior door and window from the outside, so they could wallpaper the exterior wall, so that I have had to chop back the plaster to get at the frames.

When I chopped the plaster back, I found that the topmost bricks on either side of the window and one topmost brick by the door are loose.

I am planning to carefully scrape out some of the old mortar (which is still attached to the brick below in each case) and re-mortar in those top bricks after I have put the new door and window in, then mastic round as normal. does this sound like a good idea?

Also, I am worried that the previous owners have done such a bad job of attaching the abomination (lean-to conservatory) that they may have loosened many of the bricks in the entire top course!!!! I have big eaves (no comments please!) so I don't think it is such a problem, however I may need to re-attach the entire top course :mad: :mad:

Sponsored Links
While I'm on the subject of abominations, why oh why do people do these things in the first place? Lol! For example, the previous owners of my house took perfectly good, solid, old English oak floorboards - really really lovely wood which would sand down and wax up a real treat and look just gorgeous - and they *GLUED* the f****ing carpet, with no underlay, STRAIGHT ONTO THE DAMN FLOOR!!!! In the process they completely wrecked the floorboards (glue has soaked through and deeply stained thousands of pounds worth of English oak ... I could just sit and cry) .... why in the Sam Hill Holy Jones would anyone with half a brain do that???!!!! There are countless other examples of really breathtaking stupidity throughout the house ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back