Topsoil Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Need a answer to a quick question. I live in Middlesex and the cheapest i can find topsoil by the tonne is about £80. I was in Wickes and they are doing these 25L bags of topsoil at 5 for £10 which would give 125L for £10.
Does anyone know how this would compare to a tonne ie how many Litres are in a tonne? I understand that one is volume and one is mass but I cant seem to work out if this is cheaper or not?
Lee

Sponsored Links
I believe topsoil is aroundabout 600 litres per tonne therefore buying it in bags would need about 25 bags which would be £50

Nice one, so it could be that would be the cheaper option for me, Thanks

I normally pay around about £25 a ton + delivery here in Lancashire so £80 sounds extremely expensive - is it gold impreganted from your local supplier? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Hi All
Need a answer to a quick question. I live in Middlesex and the cheapest i can find topsoil by the tonne is about £80. I was in Wickes and they are doing these 25L bags of topsoil at 5 for £10 which would give 125L for £10.
Does anyone know how this would compare to a tonne ie how many Litres are in a tonne? I understand that one is volume and one is mass but I cant seem to work out if this is cheaper or not?
Lee

I need some topsoil, Do you know if all Wicks are doing this deal?

I dont know if all Wickes are doing this but I saw it at the Hanworth branch. On the website they do a 25L bag for £2.59 so working it out 600L per ton = 24 bags = £59.76
With the deal for 5 for £10 you would get 30 bags for £50 (i think)
Worth a look i think
Still cant find anyone that would come close in the London area

While i am in topsoil mode. Anyone know how much a tonne (using the 600L benchmark) would cover
From my investigations I reckon that 1 ton (600L) would cover 10 square meters at a depth of 4 inches (100mm)

Does this sound about right?

Nice one Mr Twin. I hope to be getting some v soon so i will be able to confirm but what you said sounds about right.

Good grief, metric is so blooming confusing...

'Soil' is around 900 g a litre, according to http://www.thisiseco.co.uk/EcoSuperSoil.asp

So 25 litres would be 22.5 kg, and you would need 45 bags for a tonne. That's £90.

One aspect is that the bagged topsoil is probably screeded and sterilised, with no stones or couch grass or other nasties. Loose topsoil is, well, whatever you get when the lorry arrives.

I don't know what the covering capacity is.

(If my calcs are incorrect then please feel free to rectify.)

Hmmm so it is either 600L or 900L per ton. I hope its the lower one :)

Well, according to the url I posted topsoil is around 1120 litres a tonne. Which is strange as water is 1000 litres/tonne, which makes topsoil lighter, and we know topsoil doesn't float.

Topsoil will contain air pockets and organic material, so a bagged litre may well be lighter than a litre of water, which is all water. Also topsoil in bags will not be compacted as it would be in or in the ground, and may be partly dried, and may contain less water, so may well be lighter per litre (a lot of 'mays' there).

Another reference gives dug topsoil as 1.6 tonnes a cu mtr, which is 625 litres, similar to Fred's post. Maybe the answer is that wet partly-compacted soil dug out of the ground is 600 litres a tonne, and poncy dried stone-free fluffy topsoil in bags is 1120 litres a tonne. Everyone is correct.

LOL I wasnt trying to start a topsoil war on here and totally appreciate everyones comments on this one.

I think that i will go with the 'small bag' route to start with and see how much it covers. For the life of me i cannot find anyone who delivers to Middlesex (UK) for anywhere close to £80 a tonne though which is rather annoying.

Thanks

Cheapest I can find top soil here is £90 per tonne plus delivery.

Cancel that, just found screened topsoil for £24 a tonne (can anyone tell me what screened means?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back