Veritas Alarm beeps 10 times on set.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above, when setting the alarm it beeps 10 times, also the green light on the box is flashing as is the unset button on the remote keypad.

I believe it is an r8 plus (dialer connected) but would stand to be corrected there. Was instlled by ADT before we bought the house (we havebeen here 4 1/2 years) but not currently under ciontract with ADT.

Manuakl says 10 beeps is a power fualt and it accepts the key sequence to set with a power fault.

Does it just need a battery? (Currently has a Yuasa &Y7-12 12v 7ah C20 with a date written on the side of 24/Feb/03 which may be when it was fitted) and which are the best ones to fit?

Sponsored Links
if the battery is 5 years old change it.

Yuasa are the best to fit

dont know the name, but maplin have them

12v 7ah

does yours look like

View media item 1041
(ok yours will be black not blue on the top)

and click on the pic to zoom in, and look to the right of my user name

Sponsored Links
close enouh, you cant see the bow on the one i posted, if it bows too much they split

[/img]

You can just see the bulge in the end - no split yet..

CEF claim to have them and are cheaper and closer than Maplin.

Just looked at the photo again, the date is not Feb as I first thought but 24/08/03 which means it has probably been fitted for just under 5 years!

Spooky.

BTW a photo of the inside of the box in my album, can you confirm if it is an R8 or an R8 Plus?

Bulge or split, it does not matter which, it's now a faulty battery, needs replacement, soonest. It can deteriorate to such an extent that the control panel can be damaged.

Don't skimp on the battery, Yuasa is the way to go, others are cheap imitations.

Panel looks like a standard R8. The R8 plus would have a set of terminals on the right hand edge of the board.

Is the panel in an airing cupboard? If so, you are lucky you have gotten 5 years out of that battery (Yucel are not as good as Yuasa/Genesis in my opinion, and being fitted in an airing cupboard would have impacted it's expected life span even more so)

If it is in an airing cupboard, you should be looking to change it every 2-3 years tops.

We have been in the house since March 04 so I guess the 08/03 date is correct. The box is in the hot water cupboard, but the tank has one of those useless red jackets and another 8" of fibreglass around it to keep the heat in.

Bulges all over the thing now I can look closer, both ends and places on the sides.

Got a Challenger battery from CEF on the way home, they swear it is made by Yuasa. £16, will se how it goes. At least the set light has stopped flashing. Will look at it every six months and check for bulges, will probaly replace at 3 years unless it fails first.

Thanks for the help guys, now is it worth weighing in the lead?

CEF are liars.

You should take you battery to the local recycling center (tip). They contain toxic materials, and need to be properly disposed of.

You will have a standard veritas R8. IIRC the R8+ only came out about 3 or 4 years ago.

Tried to set the alarm last night and 10 beeps . . .

So it lasted 3 years, will pick another up on the way home.

The box is in the hot water cupboard, but the tank has one of those useless red jackets and another 8" of fibreglass around it to keep the heat in.
Hot water cupboard, possibly the worse place to fit an alarm panel.

I know of a panel + a PSU in one, have to change both batts. every 6 months, costing the customer a fortune.

Won't have it moved because the installing company (who was a family friend & went bust), said it was the best place.

Still, they've got money, even so it's very frustrating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back