Drilling a wash hand basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'me putting a pop up waste on our wash hand basin,The drills bits i have will not penetrate the ceramic,i get down to about 2 ml and then they start glowing HOT .....i need to have the hole for the chrome push rod,if i go to B&Q or somewhere,what drill bit do i need..thanks

Sponsored Links
Never drilled nor heard of a wash hand basin having to be drilled. You sure you have to drill it?

If you turn it over there should be a knockout which you tap with a hammer or a nail punch and hammer on the top side of the basin.

Only thing that will drill through the basin will be diamond drill bits but I have reservations and would expect the basin to shatter.

thanks for the info,i think i will leave well alone,i should have said that i was trying to convert the wash hand basin for a pop up waste,it was just a matter of drilling a 5ml hole through 1" of basin,i've got drill bits that drill through metal like butter,but this baby is "HARD"

Sponsored Links
I see my favourite drills might come in handy here for you as well....Go to screwfix and get yourself a couple of 5mm bosch blue multipurpose drills they'll sail through like butter - take it slow with moderate to good pressure to start it off through the glaze, once it gets through that it'll be easier going - fast drilling of these materials is not good!.[/u]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back