Conservatory problems - manhole and damp through brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got a few problems with the conservatory of a house I have just bought.

Firstly, it seems the manhole cover/inspection chamber is in the conservatory itself – this seems quite common, but I heard rumours that this wasn’t allowed anymore. Is this the case? We need to lay a new floor, and will ensure access to the cover.

Secondly, the cover is not sealed properly and it’s letting some pretty nasty smells out! Will manhole grease be enough or should I make sure I’ve got a double sealed cover?

Lastly, the conservatory itself is leaking through the brickwork. It seems to have been a DIY job and the frame is laid on top of one layer of bricks only. There are two layers of damp course but this doesn’t seem to work, leading to the sills and base of the conservatory rotting. Any way to fix this, short of taking the whole thing down and starting again?! Would re-pointing and rendering help? I’m assuming not….

Thanks for your advice to a DIY novice!

Sponsored Links
Internal manhole covers are still allowed by some councils. I am in the process of ahaving one built, and my local council had no problem with them putting it inside.

I did not want it inside, so had it moved. Someone else that I know (in a different area) had Building Control refuse permission for one inside his new extension. I am sure they cannot ask you to move an existing one, though.

If there are any smells at all, I would renew the sealed manhole cover. I was led to believe that these should eliminate any smells at all when fitted properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back