British gas quote to replace my old boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

just found this site after receiving a heart stopping quote from B.gas to replace my busted Potterton neataheat boiler with a new Potterton Promax SL15 high efficiency boiler.

Quote comes to a total of £3369 (inc Vat) for the whole job with the boiler priced at £2446.47 +vat plus a horiziontal flue at £150.62

This seams way OTT for the boiler ?? I know everybody has to make a living but prices I've seen after doing a google search are in the 6-700 pounds region for a boiler like the Promax SL15, so I guess I am asking is this just a crazy price or do B.gas actually win any orders priced like this?

You may think this includes fitting etc but i have an itemised quote showing other bits like system water treatment powerflush etc and boiler connect and test.

Oh and this is with a £400 summer discount if I order before 23rd Aug.

Any one care to comment?

Cheers,

Mario

Sponsored Links
Simple get other quotes as most people do for whatever work they get done

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply, I am getting a local chap CORGI approved etc to quote in the next few days so will be interested in the comparison.

I just cannot get over the £2446 quoted for something anyone can order here in the UK for £6-700, even the RRP is in the £1100 region!!!

Sponsored Links
I don't understand what you are saying, The whole job seems to be coming in at 2800 before vat, yet the boiler seems to be 2597 before vat including the flue, so all labour and parts seem to account for about 200.

Any chance of clearing up what you mean?

normally i can do any BG quote for half the price like for like or better and still earn good money and profit :LOL: Its probably a BG subbie anyway

What I am trying to say is this;

You can buy the boiler etc for approx £6-700. plus maybe a bit extra for delivery.

Lets say £800 to get a new Potterton to my house.

B.Gas want to charge £2596 + vat for the same thing.

Seems a very high mark-up on parts considering what buying power they must have at Potterton.

Tell them you'll accept their labour charge and supply your own boiler :D

I think you're reading it wrong.

typical BG prices.. They always try and justify the price one way or another. I'm doing a job saturday for £1700 less than the price BG qouted, and I'm fitting a more expensive, better quality boiler with a longer guarantee. I really don't know how they get so much business. Find a recommended local installer, and if you like the BG service, you can stick back on homecare when the guarantee runs out.

I am getting another quote in the next few days from a local CORGI registered installation engineer (found via my local plumbing shop). I will post it on here when I get it but will obviously get at least 3 quotes before committing myself.

Thanks v much for such fast feedback tonight.

The nice thing about following in after BG is that it is easy to put a smile on the customers face.

What I cant weigh up is why the price for an install quoted before the summer discount is exactly the same as the price quoted with the discount in two identical houses two doors away from each other.... OK I can really..

£203 labour charge, thats well cheap. any chance you could scan of photo and post it up. obviously cover your name and address.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back