plastic float valve dripping/noise problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a few quick queries regarding a Part 3 (plastic) float valve fitted in my WC cistern (low pressure)

After re-filling, it is quite slow to shut off the water 100%. What it does is the dribble gets slower and the stream of water thinner, then water drips a bit before the diaphragm closes off the supply. (after a good few minutes)!

Also where the threaded part of the valve which contains the diapraghm, valve seat and o-rings, is connected to the stem of the valve (it's a bottom entry type) a bit of water drips from that every few seconds and it is really annoying!! I have tightened it fully but it still drips !

I have changed it for a virtually identical part 3 valve (not the whole stem just the part with the diaphragm, seat, etc, yet the problem still exists!

Is it that part 3 plastic float vales are just not very good, or could it be as i have been using cheapish ones?? Seeing as both have the same affect I am a bit annoyed!!! Obviously the diaphragm is shutting off the water, it's just the time is takes to fully do it and the noise (especially at night) when the water drips!

Would changing to a part 2 or even a torbeck valve cure this (slightly) annoying problem??

Thank you for listening! :)

Sponsored Links
you could change it for a better quality valve like a fluidmaster.
but i can't say i have ever had trouble with a new torbeck valve.
may be you have a damaged seating on the part you didn't change.

Hi seco, thanks for the quick respone.

I haven't put a new torbeck in, just a normal plastic type (part 3 ) valve from B & Q! Was under a fiver!!

I was looking at fluidmaster valves but they seem too big for my cistern, especially with the box type filling mechanism at the bottom.

I might buy a torbeck, (they look small enough)!

I haven't damaged anything, i made sure i didn't corss any threads as well when tightening! maybe just a new torbeck should be fitted! :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks seco - that looks prefect - the right size for my cistern, and the collapsable silencer tube makes filling even quieter! Will order one today! :) Thanks for your help and advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back