Any ideas as to what this is please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im helping an older gentleman get his house up together and this is a very bad patch by his front door, something is pushing the plaster out and there is a mold that looks like clouds??

I know some molds are not safe to be around, can any one help with identifying this, and would anyone know is it a case of knock back and cover with a preventative liquid and replaster? or would there be a cause and source some where that needs locating.

thank you for any help
OJ :)

PICT0070-1.jpg

Just confirmed if it helps..... there is no cellar.

Sponsored Links
I think it might be efflorescence - mineral salts crystallising caused by damp - not mould.

If it seems powdery or crystalline, scrape some into a glass and tip boiling water on it, mineral salts will dissolve.

also look for the cause of damp, and cure it. Have a look under the floorboards for piles of rubble holding damp against the wall; look for cracks in the wall or gaps round door and window frames. Clear all airbricks to allow ventilation.

It does not look like a typical mould problem

If this is an old guy and the wall has been bare like that for ages, then yes its most likely salts caused by moist air being absorbed into the plaster.

There are some darker patches there which may be damper plaster. Its hard to tell.

Brush all that loose stuff off then leave it for a week or so to see if any damp patches reappear. If anything looks damp then press some toilet paper on it for a minute to see if it gets wet.

If dampness is coming in or up, then you will notice it

If all is well, then form a key and re-skim it and then redecorate.

If there is a condensation issue, then go through the usual process to tackle that

Thank you John he has large gaps around his door frame its an old victorian house not in the best condition at the front door.

Im going to have a closer look but i think he has a gas pipe running up the edge behind the front door on the inside which is half boxed in and half in the wall? the pipe is visable from the out side then ducks under the door area i had wondered if this was the root of the problme but its about a foot away from that blown area.

I will do the water test asap, im concerned more for his health at this time , so thank you for the advice.

.....Sorry Woody we posted the same time... thanks as well :)

Sponsored Links
he hasn't got a dog, has he?

Or a pet sheep?

14140.gif

I'd add my guess to the efflouresence camp. Brush it off and follows woodys advice to see if it reappears and if not treat it with sandtex stabilizing soloution. Then re skim/ decorate as needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back