Broken metal casement latch and stay - how to fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a really old metal window and both the latch and the stay are now broken beyond repair meaning that I can no longer secure the window!

I need a quick easy solution for securing the window.

Because the window is aprx 50y old its seriously rusted and crusted with paint, its difficult to even close it fully, so removing the remaining bits of the old latch and stay and simply replacing them is going to be tricky. There isnt much overlap between the window and the frame and Im hoping to avoid drilling into the metal as i know the drill will slip and i will break the glass!

Any suggestions to secure the window? Do I need to drill and if so any hints on how to stop the drill slipping or the surrounding glass breaking?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
iirc there could be a thin nut on the back of where the handle was,get a thin spanner and undo,then visit your local scrapyard/reclamation yard and try and find another handle,also if you scrape the paint off of the inside edges and hinge side it may close alot better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back