17th Edition conumer units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Although I havent had to connect up a new style board yet I have a few questions on how to !!

1) all lights on one, all power on other ?
2) any others eg smokes on rcbo ?
3) what if smokes are connected to lights ? should that whole circuit be on rcbo ?
4) should the kitchen be on rcbo (if poss) ?
5) How many RCBO's can you fit ? (space wise)
6) What is the cheapest all RCBO's type board availiable ?

TIA

Sponsored Links
1) All lights on one RCD? No, you would want to spread them around so they are not all lost in the event of a single fault.
2) Smokes on an RCD not shared with sockets (RCBO will do - is a type of RCD).
3) I'd be tempted to RCBO the lighting circuit.
4) Same as the others, RCD or RCBO as long as the lights and sockets are on separate RCDs.
5) As many as the board will allow, the new "high integrity" boards have either one or two RCD unprotected ways to fit RCBOs, however you can still buy a 21 way board with only a main switch and fit 19 RCBOs if you want.
6) Don't do cheap! Look for a decent quality one such as MK, Hager etc.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Hager/Hager_17.pdf

Thanks spark123, sorry didnt mean cheap as in ' cheap ' but best value for money.

I'd love to fit all RCBO's but its just too expensive for customers. I wonder if these will start to drop in price now ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back