Retrofit Lintel...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering what the best way would be to install a lintel above a fireplace. The original has an arch shaped made from bricks which I am assuming was used for the original structural support. The hole for the fireplace has been made much smaller, but its not used any more. Idea is to install a TV above this and put all the AV equipment below into where the old fireplace was, but to do this this will need a bigger hole which will involve removing the arch area. I want to install a lintel above this arch and use the chimney sides for the lintel supports. Would this be OK?

Just worried that when the row of bricks is taken out to install the lintel the other bricks above will fall down! Also which way round does the lintel go? the steel bar is smack bang in the centre so not sure?

Also the chimney will be swept and capped!

Any ideas?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi Neds

I'm in the same position ref lintel, fireplace..............
Did you manage to finish the job? If so can you enlighten me.

Cheers

I have just opened up my fireplace, and also removed a portion of the gather, for that I used 2 short acrow props with strong boys, to support the brickwork while i removed the courses for the lintels.

Depending on your fireplace construction, the front of the breast may be 2 leaves of brickwork so you might need 2 lintels, mine was just 1.

If you are just making the opening wider, i would guess you would only need 1 acrow & strong boy, but it does depend on the size of the opening.

If you bring your chimney down on your head its not my fault :)

Sponsored Links
Well this is all done now, I just risked it and since it was single skin anyway only a few brick came away when removing the row to fit the lintel in. The cheeks of the chimney were double skin and perfect for the lintel support in the end. Was a snug fit in the end just a bit of slate here and there to fill the gap and job was a good un'!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back