Removing chimenybreast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
i am thinking to take out the chimeny from my house as i wanted to make more space in the rooms i am thinking to do it myself i am a spark need advice to take the chimenybreast out have gotthe planing permeation from council.any idea pleas thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think you'll be fine removing the chimney yourself, i have no real construction experience but removed a chimney from my house with relative ease.
Its a messy experience thats for sure, make sure your room is covered in sheets if your going to take this on.
The main thing to remember when removing a chimney is to start at the top! Make sure with every brick you take our that its not supporting anything above it, if you do this you should be fine.

If you are in a terraced house / semi it could also be more difficult as you could be sharing a chimney breast. As i said you need to start at the top, so this HAS to come down first, or it will simply fall through yoru roof, if your breast is attached to your neighbours, this could cause problems, and id speak to someone with a bit more know how.

One are that suprised me when i removed my chimney was that the 1st floor trusses where ties in to the chimnet, i.e the brick of the chimney breast was holding up the trusses. This obviously created a probelm when i removed the supporting bricks, especially at teh time as I had a pile of bricks next to me. I soon got around this problem by bolting some wood on as a splice where the breast was, but its worth keeping in mind!

Hope this helps, if you have any quetsions, just ask!

Al

thanks walshyy for your information i will ut the pic up when i am gona start it at the moment bit busy i am quit confident but still need some advice just wondering did you put any angle bracket up in loft and how you did it our house is terraced house and i am sure we are not sharing with next door but i still will find out buy the council and planning permistion cheers.

Sponsored Links
You do not require planning permission to remove a chimney from your house, so you don't need to contact the council.
I was luck in that the chimney pot had already been removed, and an aluminium flu put in place, from the roof up, so this was really easy to take down and patch up.
If your in a terraced house i will be very surprised if you and your neighbours chimney breasts aren't back to back, so at the top, they will be tied in to each other, this is were you need to be careful. Also, if you chimney breast is as big as mine was its gunna leave a gaping big hole in your roof, so make sure you have something on standby until you can get a roofer out to patch it properly.
Best of luck,
Walshyy

Strikes me as a bit of a can of worms if it's a shared chimney breast, if that's the case your first step definitely has to be talking to your neighbours!

Other than that, as others have said, the most important thing is to work from the top down & be aware of how the project might impact on your house's supporting structures.
That and have *lots* of dust sheets around! ;)

Good luck with it! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back