siemens wash/dryer - door won't close :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a siemens siwamat WV9722I washer dryer, built in and a bit old admittedly, but was working ok except for having to fiddle with door to turn machine on (had to make sure hande pressed flat and door shut properly so light would come on to start cycle)

Now, we can't get light to come on no matter how much fiddling. The door will still open and close (it will open mid cycle if you want it to!) it is as if it can't sense the door is shut.

Any advice please - we're desperate!

Sponsored Links
Absolutely any advice (even if it involves kicking the thing) would be appreciated - am in a good mind to go home at lunchtime to have a go at fixing it.

Other half dicovered it wasn't working this morning, he is a heavy handed s*d with the DIY skills of a three legged sloth.

is it possible some screws have worked loose the
on the door catch or sensor

just a thought as its gradual deteriation

Thanks - I think you can see the screws, should I just wack my screwdriver in there?

If I can't see them, how may I be able to get to them - this might be a stab in the dark without seeing the maching itself but as before, any advice appreciated..... :)

Sponsored Links
It sounds as though the whole door interlock mechanism could do with a good overhaul.

it will open mid cycle if you want it to
Does that mean even if it's full of water? If so, then there's something major wrong with this bit.

If you do take it apart note where everything goes first. You will have to get at the inside of the machine in order to see how it goes together and what the problem may be.

Mind you if your local expert has the

DIY skills of a three legged sloth
then you may be better off cutting your losses and getting an engineer out! :)

It's always been like that since we moved in - always thought it was a bit dodgy.

Sometimes it's full of water and it stops.

Usually the spin shakes the handle a little lose so the connection is broken and the cycle stops - if you don't look before you open the door to check the cycle has finished, you get very wet feet.

I think I may have to get a man in. :)

Though I do already have a man, I mean a useful man who knows which end of a screwdriver is which :)

The three legged sloth watched in wonder the other day as I changed a light bulb - honestly, he was fascinated :rolleyes:

I had to come back and tell you all as I am sooooo proud of myself!

I got home on Wednesday and looked at the washer myself - this is after two grown men have looked at it and not been able to fix it!!!

I thought they meant that the door was shutting and the light wouldn't come on, so I thought it was electrical.

However! What had happened was I imagine there is a steel ring which holds the seal to the inside of the drum - the ring had popped out from the drum rim and was pushing the seal out of shape, so the door wouldn't close.

I few moments fiddling and pushing the steel ring back inside the drum and ta da! Fixed! And I'm blonde!! :)

Thanks for all the suggestions, time for a new machine I think but at least we've got chance to save up for one!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back