Laminate flooring - Thresholds and stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello , new here so apologies if this is already covered,

I am planning to lay flooring in my front room and hall way.

Problem 1: The house is quite old and has nice chunky wooden thresholds - what should I do as I cant see an easy way to finish the floor around them? Is it just better to find some nice new thresholds that I can lay on top of the floor on either side so there is a gap?
Ive not had to take these up before and I guess I may have to take the door frame apart!?

Problem 2: Flooring around the bottom of the stairs, the bottom stair is rounded and I dont know how the flooring should be done here - cant see how I could use beading unless you can get it shaped to go round the stairs?

Appreciate any advice!

Sponsored Links
Problem 1: The house is quite old and has nice chunky wooden thresholds
Solution 1: leave your old thresholds in situ, install towards them and leave a normal expansion gap in front of them (10mm). Then install (double-sided tape on Melamine Laminate, little pins on wood/wood-engineered floors) solid flat beading - see here

Thanks for the reply. I will look at that, in another room I tried to glue a gap bridging thing like that to the side of the threshold but it was never going to stay. I guess sticking it to the floor itself would be much better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back