Sime divertor valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sime Friendly
Hot water working OK but some rads heat up when drawing hot water for a bath!Flow pipe CH gets very hot.
Guess its the divertor valve? Valve works microswitch OK. Water does seem to take bit longer than normal to heat up.
Can I repair or is it a replacement job.
Any help gratefully received. :?:

Sponsored Links
SOunds like dirt in the diverting section of the diverter valve. Common. Strip lube and clean, or replace.

I have a sime friendly format 80e too. Same problem turn on the hot water and the central heating starts to warm up. Boiler is 6 years old and have already replaced the PCB. Now the divertor valve sounds like it needs replacing.

I have switched the CH flow and return valves off at the boiler so all hot water goes to the hot taps and not into the CH. Only good for the summer though.

Would this cause a problem?

Sponsored Links
It could cause problems from overheating, yes. The boiler expects to dump excess heat still in it at the end of providing hot water. The CH pipes would normally open for it to do that.

What about ideas for a new combi bolier, who would you suggest as i have already spent money on this one and the divertor valve is about £90 + £120 for fitting and it may be the heat exchanger?

Any ideas for a good manufacturer?

6 years isn't old, your problems may well stem from dirt in the system, which aren't the boiler's fault.

"and it may be the heat exchanger" ??What may? They're usually cleanable anyway.

Quote sounds a bit steep to me.

Like cars, all boilers will benefit from regular services and will occasionally need a repair.

The Sime like many boilers of similar design will need the diverter valve repaired or replaced after 5-7 years of service. We charge £106 including a service for this in the London area.

Properly maintained your boiler will give at least 10-12 years service if it was fitted to a clean system. Sime are considered as an economy boiler but are perfectly serviceable. We dont view your model as very "Friendly".

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back