Thorn M Gas-Fired Boiler - Probably 20+ years old now shutti

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have trouble lighting the pilot light (mainly I think from the breeze blowing in from the vent outside) but once it is lit and I switch the heating and water on it will burn for approximately 30-40 seconds and completely shut down including the pilot light with a bit of a clunk sound, have managed to get it to stay on once in the last week. Is it kaput or would a good service and clean sort the problem out. Any help much appreciated

Moved as originally posted in WRONG FORUM (general diy)

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the thermocouple is cooling when the main flame fires, probably caused by a poor pilot flame i.e crap in the pilot jet .
Get it serviced, mention your problem, any good CORGI engineer should sort it.

If you phone someone don`t just say it needs a service, tell him it`s an m series with pilot trouble as at there age they usually need a new pilot head and spring as they use a cross cut into them for flame retention that sort of melts together and won`t hold pilot in place and need replacing

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back