Bowed Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just put up a false ceiling using joists going from wall to wall and plasterboard screwed on to it.

I did have some chains going between the old ceiling and the new one to keep the joists level. These chains have snapped when I was stuffing insulation up there and the ceiling is now slightly bowed.

Is this a problem? If not, can it still be plastered in such a way to make it look level? I can't imagine the structure falling, it's quite strong.

Please help,

Ryan

Sponsored Links
Seems like you've under-sized the joists.

It may not collapse, but he bowing normally gets worse as the joists deflect, and the plaster ceiling will crack

instead of chains you should have used galvanised metal strap there about 20mm wide x3mm thick and come in long lengths pre-drilled you can get them from most building yards

hello all,
I just ran across this question on another forum and this is how it goes:
I have a section of ceiling about 20-24inch wide and about 5 ft long that is sagging due to a single ceiling joist that is bowed. I have checked and there is no insulation or gaps b/n the joist and the sheetrock. In relation to the walls...the sagging joist is about 24 inches (and runs parallel) from one wall and the lowest point is about 2-3 feet from another wall so it is in one corner of the room. My thought is to brace the ceiling using a t-brace and then find the lowest point of the joist in the attic and make a vertical cut from top to bottom about 75% of the 2x6. Then jack the ceiling up past level, fill the cut with wedge(s) and then splice another 2x6 to the side of the bowed 2x6.

Does this sound feasible? and should I connect a brace from the joist to the roof rafter for added support. Nothing is on these 2x6's in the attic area...
and one reply----
Sounds like a plan. Your other option would be to snap a chalkline across the bottom and cut the bow off with a skilsaw, jigsaw, reciprocating saw, etc.

I do not personally know the answer, just trying to help.

Sponsored Links
instead of chains you should have used galvanised metal strap there about 20mm wide x3mm thick and come in long lengths pre-drilled you can get them from most building yards
Does anyone have a link for these? (NB I am in the UK)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back