Sorry, but it's another deck one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello chaps

Been reading around the forum but have a quick question for you experts.

I'm laying decking by my back door (approx 2 x 2.5m) - It's a tiny garden!

My question is do the deck board grooves neccessarily have to run the same direction as the fall on the frame? Some comments on this site have suggested the boards will rot if not. I'd quite like to lay the boards at 45 degrees to the house so there would still be a slight fall for water to run along the grooves but not as much.

Any comments are much appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
for water to run along the grooves

I guess a number of you will disagree but.........the proper (American way if you like and they are the experts) for laying the decking is groove side down.
WHY?
1. It is safer to walk on when wet
2. The grooves just get clogged up with c..p
3. The grooves are there to stabilise the decking i.e prevent warp along the grain...........have a look at a quality decking companies web site such as .....
http://www.qualitytimberdecking.com/timber-residential-decking.aspx.......and you will see what I mean.[/quote]

Thanks Thermo

You seem to be the god of decking in these here parts so I'll go along with that.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
youre welcome, never been called that before! Any other questions feel free.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back