Potterton Suprima Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a Potterton Suprima boiler which is about 6 years old.

I'll try and give a little information about the system :

- It has a control on the wall beneath the boiler which we use to select whether we want heating and / or hot water etc, and set the timings for these to come on / go off.
- We also have a water tank upstairs in the airing cupboard.
- We don't get instant hot water with this system.

We have had various problems with it, which have resulted in the following work being carried out :

- A New PCB board has been fitted
- A New Pump has been fitted in the cupboard upstairs
- A New Actuator has been fitted in the cupboard upstairs

1) We are now in the position where when we switch the water on, the heating also comes on ! (Not ideal in the summer)
2) If we set the heating to come on and off at a certain time, it comes on, but doesn't go off.

Can anyone shed any light on what this might be ?
Someone has suggested this may be more of an electrical fault as opposed to a plumbing fault, although I don't know.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I would be looking at a sticking valve (the bit the actuator fixes to)

I would be looking at a sticking valve (the bit the actuator fixes to)

apologies for the ignorance, but what would this look like ?

The actuator part that we replaced looked kind of like this:

actuator546.jpg

Is it something within this, or something entirely different? :

Thank you.[/img]

Sponsored Links
I'm not too sure to be honest, I'm at work at the moment. I'll check when I get in though.

Do I need to do anything special to check this ?

Apologies for the silly questions, but I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this sort of stuff.
However, needs must when I'm getting quotes of over £300 to fix this from plumbers etc.

you've got a faulty mid position valve body (the brass bit with 3 22mm pipes going into it) aka 3port valve

thanks dangermouse, are these expensive to replace ?
Will I also need to replace the new actuator, or will this be fine with a new valve ?

You can get the brass body compatible with the actuator u already have or buy a complete valve (honeywell are best)

work the spindle back & forth with pliers.

that may be all it needs.

i agree, not only that but those myson powerheads are carp. take the head off and check it motors to each position when you select them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back