light switch wont turn off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just fitted a new light fitting which i thought had gone ok it turns on but the light switch itself wont turn off the new fitting needed an earth could by doing this cause the probelm

Sponsored Links
For safety the fitting should have an earth this is especially important when the fitting is made of metal or a conductive material :eek: .

At the light fitting you would likely have 1 x cable for the light switch, 1 or two cables for the power (one in from the last light and one on to the next light).

It sounds like you have wired the light between the live in and out rather than the switch side of the cabling.

If the colours are old you might find a black cable with red sleeve / tape or if it's newer a blue cable with brown sleeve.

On side of the light fitting (brown) goes on this and the other side (blue)goes to the neutral cables (black or blue depending on age).

All beside the point though, as if the light fitting requires an earth and you don't have an earth conductor then you can't use that fitting.

just done the same, so can you explain again cos not quite sure what u mean..

Currently from mains wire 2back / 2 red and 1 earth, new light fitting has blue / brown and earth, so i went 2 red into brown, earth to earth and 2 back to blue, light stays on, have i set this up wrong?

Sponsored Links
I'm surprised that you don't blow the fuse every time you try the switch..

the black wires are not both neutrals..
one is a neutral, one is a switch wire back from the switch..

seperate them and connect the light to these, leaving the reds together in their own seperate connector block..

in an ideal world you'd find out which was the switched live and which was the neutral to maintian correct polarity, but if it's a bayonet fitting then it doesn't really matter.. if it's an eddison screw fitting then you MUST find which is which..

one black should have a red (or brown ) sleeving on it.. or tape, or a sticky residue where the tape once was.. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back