Customer said I was to expensive!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am self employed with one person helping me out.I recently did a job for a woman who owns a cafe and the job was to paint the outside of the cafe which is about 100ft long 25ft wide.
I charged £380 and she wasn't happy!

I also made her some picnic tables and she gave me more than I asked for as she was thrilled with the quality of the work, and she said she was thrilled with the painting as well.

Does anyone think that is to high as the job took three days as it was I would normally charge about £650 for this.

Sponsored Links
£380 not going to pay wages for 2 people and 3 days work.

you may aswell of gone collecting trolleys for asda for 3 days.

thats what i thought she bought the materials so that is just a labour charge but i think she wanted it done for twenty quid.

don't they all, exspect it done for £8.50 hour.
just cause they earn that stacking shelfs.

well next time she will know what to do.

Sponsored Links
very true. i nly did it that cheap for her because on of her friends has just given me a big contract after her recomendation.
but needless to say wont be doing her anymore favours.

That a very reasonable price all things considered. Next time just politely decline and say your too busy. . . . . .

its easy to be a busy fool and get out of bed for nothing.

I have just been shortchanged too! :evil:

Not by much but still been done.

I think the way to go for everyone is to say to the person wanting the job done is " I hope you are a good payer" and watch their response.

If they fail to be offended by that remark then they can look elsewhere! :rolleyes:

Oh sory i am not your man i thought you wanted a proper job doing not a cheap job. Is what a mate of mine always replied when they baulked at the price.

I always tell the customer what my hourly rate is, or what price I am going to charge for the job before I start it, and ask them if they are happy with my prices.

I always keep a written record of time started, time took for lunch,(which I knock off the bill) and time finished and a record of materials bought for job.
Sounds like a lot of bother, but if they argue and you have been on the job for a week or two it is easy to over look things when they say you was here at this time and you went at this time and you had so long for lunch..blah ,blah.

An architect once told me 30 years ago, "For warned is for-armed" and has been my "motto" ever since.. But after over 30 years in the trade I have only had to refer back to my "records" once. And she paid up ;)

You should have ordered a cup of tea and a break fast from her cafe
then offered her a pound for it. it tends to get the message over.

You should have ordered a cup of tea and a break fast from her cafe
then offered her a pound for it. it tends to get the message over.

I know the cafe in question, trouble is offering a pound you would get change

I hate playing lets make a deal and people are quoted over the phone my hourly rate and when someone says I am expensive I always agree and say you got that right.

Morons even those in the trade do not take into consideration their training and insurance.

When I take on any job I figure 35% is going to cover my insurance 10% for my office and add in something for a fudge factor as a job may take longer then expected.

Of course I do not expect to get every job I quote but it saves me aggravation as the folks who do hire my services are not going to have a sticker shock.

By the way did you tell the lady her food is way to expensive and she should hire a cheaper cook and use paper plates and plastic forks so she can have a smaller place for take out only

Sponsored Links
Back