false wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When you build a false wall infront of the chimney breast to make the tv flush with the new wall, how do you ensure that it cools properly? Or is the heat rising up the new stud wall enough?

Sponsored Links
I'd be inclined to have it recessed, would look a bit better too. You could hide the cabling too that way. Basically knock out the plasterboard area slightly bigger than the TV go back to brick and attach the wall mount to that. The inside edges can be filled with strips of plasterboard and skimmed. A little bit more hassle but I think would look a lot better.

I'd be inclined to have it recessed, would look a bit better too. You could hide the cabling too that way. Basically knock out the plasterboard area slightly bigger than the TV go back to brick and attach the wall mount to that. The inside edges can be filled with strips of plasterboard and skimmed. A little bit more hassle but I think would look a lot better.

Will look great - but what about ventilation to cool the TV, Plasma andLCD TV's need ventilation.

Exactly ... how do you ensure adequate ventilation so that the tv cools - i've seen many houses on tv and magazines that have recessed tvs ... but does anyone know how they are cooled?

THanks

Sponsored Links
Well My mate is doing the exact same and we are going to plumb in a few PC fans under (12v) which will provide some air flow and cooling.

Well My mate is doing the exact same and we are going to plumb in a few PC fans under (12v) which will provide some air flow and cooling.

Sounds like it 'may' be OK, depending on the air flow achieved. One point I think worthy of mentioning, access to the fans for future maintenance and regular inspection to ensure the fans are still functioning and ckecking the filters (if fitted),

Yep going by the state of PC fans which are never cleaned it's worth giving them a good dusting every now and then. And while you're at it you may as well get a PSU and use the power off that for 12v, this can also provide you with mood lighting should you require it. Those 12v cathode tubes are pretty cheap and give a nice background glow in the dark.

make shure you have through ventilation into the room rather than warm air circulated within the void

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back