m building a ground floor kitchen extension got planning per

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im building a ground floor kitchen extension got planning permission

just preparing to dig the foundations But theres a manhole where my wall is supposed to be, most of it is on my side but about 5 "inches is on the neighbors side ,, there is about 3 drains running into it i presume two are neighbors can a plumber move it or do the Thames water have to move it

my own drain pipe also runs the length about 6 foot of where the walls going IE foundation and stops at the man hole

its rain water and tap water is it an expensive job

thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
what does your architect/designer say?

their searches usually show whether the drain is privately owned or not.

he said dig the foundation pit then call the building inspector and see what he says

Sponsored Links
on his drawings the only drain he got on a search was the foul drain which apparently goes thru the extension towards the middle and goes out into the garden north bound

drain alterations can be straight forward, as long as their geography deems them so.

deep drains usually means having deep pockets.

as long as you privately own the drains and they are reasonably accessible, then costs should be reasonable.

if the builder is a gorilla and attacks the drains with a digger, breaking all manner of services then - £££££££££.

what happens if i don't own the drain ?

you will need to apply for permission to the owners (usually the local water authority). this comes at a preset price, which you will have to pay.

^woody^ will tell you more when he is online. ;)

LOL - you make it sound like this manhole has suddenly appeared from nowhere and plonked itself right where the wall needs to go :eek:

Obviously, the plan drawer must have left his labrador at home that day, and in any case he is taking the easy way out and advising you to "see what the BCO says".

You have paid the guy to design the extension, so that includes designing over drains or designing moving them. I would give him a kick up the r's

If this is a public sewer then you will need the water authority's permission. When the council check the plans they should inform you if it is a public sewer.

There was a similar post very recently on this - have a search its not too far down the page.

If it is a public sewer then the authority may let you move it under their supervision, or may only let their approved contractors do it. Or may not allow anything.

If it's a private drain, then if you have to move it then its just a case of sorting out the best place for it - or if it can be removed all together. It's site specific.

As it is on the neighbours side, then you may have to agree access. But theoretically, you could probably just move it and fill the existing one in without disturbing the surface.

If you have notified under the Party Wall Act (if it applies) then the drain work should be covered in the award.

thanks woody ,,il get on to the guy it was covered with soil at the time ,but i think if he don his searches properly with the council he should of found it

this is a great site and im sure il be back for more advice

OK, if it was covered, then it is not his fault.

Sewer maps are notoriously unreliable and so it may not be on them. He did well if he actually did a search! Many don't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back