Help! My 'cedar' fence treatment has turned out orange.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new to this forum so hope I'm posting this correctly.

I've just treated my new fence with 2 x coats of Cuprinol Natural Cedar decking oil, and it has turned out as a horrible orange colour. I was hoping for a nice warm brown colour.

Any suggestions for remedying the situation would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
i think your expectations of cedar are a little inaccurate.

did you not do a small test area first?

no doubt the colouring will tone down a little - maybe greyer, but ceder will always lean towards the reds rather than browns.

It'll weather, just think about new fence panels, they're pretty orange when new.

they're pretty orange when new.

not new, but still orange

122007174449_full.jpg

Sponsored Links
I guess I was fooled by the sample bits of wood in B&Q which clearly showed the colour to be a lovely warm brown! I've now redone the fence with 'natural oak' which has more of a golden/yellow tint (though still not brown!) and hopefully it will fade as it weathers.[/quote]

We got ffooled by those when we had a our cabin built and prefinished aswell!! Golden Cedar from Cuprinol looked a nice warm colour in B&Q also on those small tester strips of wood.....

...turns up in the garden looking like its been Tangoed!

8 months down the line and its fading gradually and we will treat with a darker colour next time in a couple of years

It's really annoying isn't it? Have you identified a darker colour that will actually come out dark? I've used 2 Cuprinol oils now and they are both a light tint. Fingers crossed that mine fades fast!

Same with Cuprinol shed and fence treatment in "autumn gold" that I used on my sheds. Nothing like the nice colour of Homebase stuff that I got three years ago. It has faded a bit since application (in July) but it is still pretty garish.

I used 'Autumn Brown' once and that too was orangey and quite horrible, so I went over it with 'Country Oak' and that's nice and dark, I think you would like that one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back