upvc front door not closing fully

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently replaced my front door with a upvc door from www.u-fit.com.

The door is great and much better than the old wooden one I had but I have a couple of problems with it.

Firstly, I found that the opening side of the door was dragging slightly on the floor but after following guidelines on Toe & Healing I think I've sorted that one.

The problem I need answering here is that the top of the door, when closed, isn't meeting the frame fully. There is 3-4mm gap. The gap seals when I deadlock the door but causes quite a draught when just on the latch.

I have tried adjusting the hinges in every way I can think of, the only time I managed to get rid of the gap I couldn't open the door as the dragging (as in my first problem) got too bad. I have measured everything and the frame is perfectly square and level. Now I have fixed my Toe & Heal problem can anyone advise how to get rid of the gap?

Sponsored Links
sounds like you have fitted the door outer frame out of twist so the bottom of the door is closed before the top you will need to remove the fixings on the clapping side and knock the top of the frame out slightly or the bottom in more. before refixing sight the door leaf to the edge its closing to ensure that the frame and sash are equal gap all the way down.

There are tricks to inducing a very small bow to the centre of the frame inwards to make sure the top and bottom are closed before the latch catches but if you are not careful and over cook it A you can see it and B the the latch is hard to set up. so i would try twisting the outer frame back its a common fault fitting pvcu doors, to cram it tight back to the plaster line causing this problem but if you mastered toeing and heeling your well on your way I know people who have been fitting years and still cant grasp it.

POST NOTE

Having just read your post again if the gap is across the head of the frame ignore above and see if there is any plastic lugs at the bottom of the hinges if so remove and with a 7mm i believe allen key you should be able to raise the door on its hinges.

withe reference to the door being draughty on the latch only,that is a nature of the beast with this type of door and it is recommended that you engage the locking mechanism to obtain a good seal you do not need to lock it but this will ensure full compression on the seals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back