Soil pipe cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a cast iron soil pipe but there is no cover on it. It's outside diameter is about 110mm.
B&Q say they don't have a suitable cover.
Can I buy a ~100mm plastic cover and use mastic to attach it. (I believe there is a risk of blocage if I don't seal it).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
From a DIYer not a Plumber

If the stack is not used and you simply want to cap it and the pipe's OD is about 110mm you might be able to get a double socket on it (search screwfix for part no 47977 for picture) If you can get that on you can stop the other end with a socket plug (46863). You'll spend less than a tenner on those two.

If not, you might have to buy the equivalent in cast iron. One or other of your local merchants will stock the "timesaver" range. It is a range of cast iron components, rubber seals for different pipes and clamps to make them water and airtight. I'm not sure whether they do a socket plug per se but you could adapt to the plastic sizes if required. I've used them only three times in the past for repairing a broken section in a cast pipe and adding a branch to a stack but they're easy to use but expensive.

EDIT - perhaps you mean an open cover simply to prevent large debris entering.

Hopefully the experts can advise you further.

Sponsored Links
Visit wickes, get the cover for about £2 although it is 100mm cut the side and it will slide over tight,use no nails to bond it.........done this about 4 years ago with mine and still intact

wow, thank you all for the responses
sorry I wasn't clear
The cover is for the top of the soil stack (above the gutter line).
I'll try JOHNBOY42's idea and visit Wickes. (Our local B&Q had only a plastic cover and it seemed a lot at £14)

Thanks again
Pete

If it's above the gutter line it may need to be open, in which case something like a Screwfix 33239 soil pipe terminal may need to be used. It leaves the pipe open to equalise pressure in the system but stops leaves and other debris going down the stack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back