Joining R S J's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a victorian end of terrace house with an undeveloped basement that I am thinking of converting in to a kitchen as it currently has a door that open on to the garden. Howvever to make it work would mean the removal of the chimney brest. The chimney runs the full hight of the house and is in a corner. I understand about supporting the width of it with an RSJ. Its the supporting the depth side that is my question can this be also done with an RSJ joined at 90 degrees to other one.

I also plan to employ a structural engineer before I even lift so much as a hammer. I just want an undestanding first.

Sponsored Links
If it sticks out 330-450 from the wall, then the brickwork will span between the wall and the beam, particularly if a UC section is used. Any more than that and it's probably wise to stick in beams at 90° at either end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back