plasterboard on ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when putting fresh plaster board ceilings directly onto joists, is it better to use screws or nails??

Sponsored Links
Screws are the main way of fixing nowadays, but nothing wrong with the old plasterboard clout nails either,,,, so either!! ;)

Roughcaster.

If you do go for nails,,,,, one and a half inch galvanised nails (broad headed) will give you a good hold..... Most plasterboard screws are put in using a screw gun.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
im going to be using half inch plasterboard, so what size plasterboard screws should i use???

any adv or disadvantages over screws or nails??

you can not beat screws when dealing with bouncy studwork, full stop! :LOL:

screws are great till ya wanna pull the ceiling down. :rolleyes:

or a screw head snaps off half way in. :evil:

otherwise superb.

like i say, we use both.

horses for courses. ;)

Just to add to Nose's comments, 42mm or 50mm screws will be fine with 1/2 inch boards. Using screws will prevent the roof tiles/slates 'popping'. I must admit I've not used clouts for years.

For 12.5mm plasterboard, 40mm 'ish plasterboard screws would be ok. Space them at 7 or 8" apart, especially on a ceiling, and make sure they're in just slightly below the surface of the plasterboard if you're going to tape the ceiling. There's nothing worse than the screw heads not being in far enough. :mad:

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back