Wood Chip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I correct in assuming that I have to get the wood chip off the wall before it can be skimmed?

Also I have a stippled ceiling. Will that need PVA before being skimmed?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Oh boy, are you in for a horrible job :D

I hate wood chip, easy to go up, cheap but a git to get rid of.
Time to get the steam stripper out methinks..

You must get all the paper off before skimming; even little bits left stuck on the wall will cause a bubble in the skim. The walls should then be prepped in the usual way, depending on the type of paint finish (if any); but speak to your spread before you do any prep work.

Re the stipple Artex, it' quiet feasible to skim over it but you have to knock all the high points off with a very stiff scraper. PVA seal, let dry overnight then PVA again & skim when tacky. Depending on the thickness of Artex, it may need a thickish skim to fill in all the hollows & sometimes Bonding is better for this if it’s very thick & then a 2 coat finish skim as normal; it‘s not really a job for the inexperienced.

If it’s my own, I personally prefer to scrape it all back to base using a good steamer & then skim over that. It‘s a really messy, ****e 1/2 a day job but it’s easier to guarantee a nice flat ceiling & will probably be cheaper if your using a pro spread.

Sponsored Links
Can’t make it out at all from the photo, what sort of finish is it then? Is it a solid ceiling or P/Board? Is it render finish or plaster? Is that also a crack I can see?

But what is it if it’s not Artex? It’s impossible for me to tell from the picture so can‘t advise if it‘ll take a skim! Is it a conventional plasterboard ceiling? Is it emulsioned?

It still looks like Artex to me but a sponge pattern rather than true stipple. If it is, being so flat will work in your favour & it should be fairly easy to cover with a skim after PVA as described previously but it’s important that the paint is well stuck on & not loose of flaky.

You will have to dig out, repair & tape any cracks before hand, & fit additional screws along the joists to firm it all up before skimming or it’ll just crack again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back