Halogen Lights - 'splitter issue' ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a set of halgoen lights on 'stems' in my kitchen - and suddenly one half of the kitchen has gone out - I'm looked at the top where all the lights connect and see that attached pic (I've since opened it)

If I press on this (when the casing was on obviously) the lights would come on - then after a minute go out - do I need to replace this - and what is it's name??

Any help would be great.
28082008976.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like an electronic transformer.

How many lamps connect to this, and what is the rating of each lamp?

Looks like an electronic transformer.

How many lamps connect to this, and what is the rating of each lamp?

4 in total, 2 hallogens on sticks and 2 light up the 'cabinet'. Not sure of all the wattage - checks...

....the range from 20watts to 50watts.

That tranny looks to be 60va one? Look on the cover.

You have likely overloaded it, and it's thermal cutout operates.

60va is 60watts.

Sponsored Links
That tranny looks to be 60va one? Look on the cover.

You have likely overloaded it, and it's thermal cutout operates.

60va is 60watts.
thanks, just had a look at its a 70va one. So, should i basically just replace all the bulbs so they only reach that voltage? Had this tranny for 7 years though, why would it just cut out now?

Have you recently replaced any of the lamps?

And what wattage has it been supporting? If it's been at the limit for 7 years maybe the thermal cutout has failed. These PSUs aren't built to the highest standards....

If when you press on it the lights come on, then it would IMO sound like you have what is known as a dry joint. Where one of the solder joints has become open & it loses connectivity until you press it & remake the connection.

You could completely remove the PCB (after powering down) and have a look on the underside & get someone who can solder to remake the joints, whereupon it may work well again for another 7 years :D

All depends how much your wanting to save in money & not buy a replacement compared to the hassle it will be finding someone with a soldering iron & getting them to do it for you.

Although it does not show it in the picture there may well be lots of surface mount components on the other side too, making finding the problem harder but its not surmountable on such a small power supply (and its a "power supply" - not a "transformer" says Mr pedantic head ).

Myself I'd be attempting a repair so that I'm not wasting more resources than needed. You may not have this ability or be able to find someone that can.

Oh, remove power completely & test that the terminals are screwed down fully & not loose first too :D

Would you attempt a repairing knowing it has been hugely overloaded too!?

I would fit one of the correct VA, and also look to ensure my cables for the lights where adequately selected. 50w lamps draw some current, and a couple of those on that tiny flex is asking for trouble!

A transformer 0-250w is only £12 from TLC, I really wouldn't waste time with repair work that may not do the job.

A transformer 0-250w is only £12 from TLC, I really wouldn't waste time with repair work that may not do the job.

I'm not experieced enough to do that :oops: Will do as you suggested I think.

If you put a higher wattage tranny in, for god sake make sure you ensure that the cable from it to the lights is correctly rated.

If you have 50watt and 20watt lamps as you say, this is overloading not just the tranny, but the cable too. A new tranny of a larger size will then offer no protection to the cable you have, and you will overhead the cables with a huge possibility of a fire.

Double and tripple check your wattages.

This is why ELV lighting falls under part P (for the good that does).

For the benefit of the OP, on the secondary side of the transformer, the currents are about 20 times that on the primary.

So for a 50 watt lamp, the current is 4.2 amps. On the primary, it is only 0.21 amps.

Therefore you must take great care in selecting cables for the secondary side. The flex you have there will probably only be rated at about 8 amps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back