Installing a washing machine in a detached garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an detached garage and I'd like to put new water and soil feeds into it so I can put my washing machine in there.

The easiest way I can see of doing this is to tee my outside tap and run a connection out to the garage (approx 7m away from house). Does anyone know what the minimum depth of 750mm would apply to this application, or whether I could get away with less by laying a capping layer on top of the pipe to prevent someone striking it?

Once I get to the garage, I assume I'll need to bring the pipe in above any damp proof course in the brick work, is that correct?

Coming out - can I run a drain out of the garage, through the brick work and into an existing manhole in my garden? I've read in some places about vent pipes and the like, could someone suggest a pipe configuration that would mean I can drain the washing machine without reverse flows or backing up?

Thank you!!

The garage has electric, and plenty of power points.

for the attached image:
blue = new water supply
green = new foul
red = existing foul

Sponsored Links
The minimum depth is 750mm from the top of the pipe. The garage you dig down either side and sleeve the pipe maintaining the 750mm from the outside edge of the building, the last measurement can be less if an approved insulation is used.

by dig down either side, do you mean inside the garage as well?? I have a concrete floor in the garage so I don't think I'll be able to manage 750mm deep trench inside?!

Hopefully the concrete will be slightly thinner. but yes that is what I mean.

Sponsored Links
ok, thank you. How about the waste pipe? looking in sewers for adoption it says minimum 900mm, but if i connected from 900mm down at my garage is the pipe would meet lower than the invert of the manhole?

Do you have separate drains for the rainwater or combine :idea:

I've assumed I'm on a combined system, although the house is new build so perhaps it should be on separate. Either way, the drains in my garden are foul, and the down pipe for the garage is the opposite end to the washing machine.

Just thought it may have been easier to get into the rainwater outlet if it was combined, you would to check, to save running an 110 underground drain back to the inspection chamber

yeh, well I think that if I can prove the house is on a combined system I connecting to the downpipe may well be the best option.

So I need anything special to stop the smell coming back out of the drain? If I'm connecting directly into the manhole will something like a u-bend sort me out, or will I need something a bit more substantial?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back