how to secure to brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys

Im getting these exact arches made by a joiner however am not sure how these have been fixed or how i can fix them to the brick walls

There apears to be no sign of bolts or screws and wanted to know how even with bolts and screws can i fix these in place to take the load of someone standing on top or what is simply the most load bearing way to fix these up.

in the pictures its the arches that im talking about,

thank you very much

View media item 4261 View media item 4262

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
as you can see there is a small roof directly infront of it and lets say in the near future some bright spark decides he wants access and wants to work off it, I dont want it giving way

cheers for the comments will have a look for gaps

keep em coming

if they are made of timber then they can be predrilled for the fixings and then filled prior to decoration. Anybody that decides to work off of it (and no tradesman in his right mind should) deserves what they get.

i thought u guys were joking about corbels and gallow brackets lool so i decided to google it and its exactly what ive been calling arches lol ok so they are gallow brackets.

Now what should i use to secure my gallow brackets baring in mind the wood is going to be quite heavy as its thick and will probably also be holding tiles on the top or to be precise what bolts or anchors should i use and can u send me a link please.

Thank very much guys

303 - each bracket should have at least 2 fixings (top & bottom) although I'd include a 3rd in the centre. The top one should be threaded studding (stainless or at least galvanised), epoxyed into the brick work; the lower fixing a Rawl bolt or similar. Bore a hole (for the top fix) through the bracket, slide the bracket onto the stud, tighten the nut/washer (which are accommodated in a counter-bore at the front of the bracket), cap with a plug. Similar arrangement for lower (& centre fix).

The issue is to resist the turning moment (pulling away from the wall at the top) & weight support. The above solution should cover the problem. You will also have fixings to the wall within the canopy structure ... a wall-plate maybe?

not quite. Threaded studding is simply a length of round metal that has a thread cut into it, so that a bolt can be screwed on either end should you wish. A hole is drilled in the eall and an epoxy resin fixing is injected into the hole. The threaded studding is then inserted into the hole and when the resin hardens it holds the threaded studding in place. You can then simply fasten the bolt on the protruding end.

one of these

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/49811...ss-Steel-Threaded-Rods-M12-x-1000mm-Pack-of-5

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back