Dumb Question on DC Motors!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this isn't House Electrics, but I thought someone might be able to help.

When checking the resistance between the +ve & -ve Busbars on a large DC Motor, is it right to have a short Circuit?

The DC Motor is a Brush Motor.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Please define what you mean by "short circuit" and tell us some specs for this motor.

The stalled resistance of a DC motor is very low. That is why it is vital to have overload protection on motors. A stalled motor will almost certainly cook itself if there is nothing to stop the current.

Field winding will probably be high but armature winding may be very low and seem like a short circuit (less than 1ohm).

Hi Thanks for the replies!

The Motor is a 550V 1280KW Ansaldo DC Motor. It is fed from an SCR Unit.

The tests I have carried out are accross the in coming + & - (Armature?) the resistance is 0.7ohm.

I have also IR Checked each to ground and got >50Mohm.

Io my mind it seems ok. But my understanding of these systems isn't great. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
The unit will limit the current (usually through an H-Bridge) until the motor has gained sufficient speed for the back EMF to counter the supply voltage and current flow drops to an operating level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back