Are holes left by drawing pins in the wall hidden by paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, my housemate is moving out. She had put up throws and blankets on the wall as decor and held them up with drawing pins. This has left a row of tiny holes. Lots of them. She has moved out now but she tells me that the holes will be easily covered by paint. Is this true or will we need some kind of filler or plasterer?

Sponsored Links
you can use a fine filler (readimixed). if yoiu rub the surface with a damp sponge imediately it will take off the excess on the wall atound the hole, this will save you having to rub it off later (which will be more work, and create dust).

The holes may create cracks or loose plaster.

If you friend thinks its so easy, make her do it - or pay someone else. It sounds as if she is walking away leaving her problems behind her. Was she permitted to make holes in the walls?

Otherwise the problem will end up with you.

Hi,

Had the same problem when i moved into my bungalow. I think some kids had a dart board up and must of missed 100's of times!!!!

The paint will not cover it properly. I suggest also you put a fine layer of polyfiller over the holes (use an old credit card, I actually use an old phone card I bought in Tallinn lol) At the end slighty wet the card and go over to create a nice finish. Let it dry! You might find some of the bigger holes have sucked the filler in so go over again as above and let dry. Finally sand with a fine grade of sand paper and feel with your hand that its flush and smooth. You may want to paint over that area first with the paint slighty watered down but I don't bother and I haven't had any problems.

The joys of sharing I guess.

Regards

Russell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back