False ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello ladies and gents.

Can you tell me if this will be OK?

My kitchen ceiling is the old type (laithe and someting??). Anyway the artex/plaster has started to come away where a few years ago we had some leaks upstairs. These have now been fixed and the ceiling is not getting any worse. Rather than pull it all sown I want to re-board over the top.

I want to batten it first so that I can run cables for the lighting in the void to save pulling the floor up upstairs. Then I will plasterboard and simply tape and joint the gaps. I've taped and used jointing filler elsewhere in the house so am confident at doing a good job.

I'll be battening with something like <a href="http://www.wickes.co.uk/Sawn-Treated-Timber/Sawn-Treated-Softwood/invt/107068">This</a>

Does this sound OK? I presume my joists will be OK with the extra weight?

Cheers,

Chris
[/code][/url]

Sponsored Links
i personally ripped my old stuff down and boarded to the joists, but i had a builder round to fit a lintle in for me and he told me that he`d been boarding over old stuff for years, so sounds fine to me as long as your fixings hit the joists,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back