Window replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking someone or a company that can replace 2 windows at my flat. I am a builder myself but I want the windows to be Fensa register, so Fensa registration is a must. They are 1600x1350 both same style and size. 1 at kitchen (groundfloor) 1-
bedroom (first floor). At the moment they are in wood and we want to replace into upvc double glazing.3 openings.
Is there any one there that can provide me a competitive quote?
I am in SW London
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You seem to misunderstand Fensa they are not the only certifying body.

If you are a builder and capable of fitting your own windows then you can submit an application to the local building control Fee payable of course,
they will inspect the installation usually before and after and they issue you with a certificate of compliance.

if you talk to them before hand,they will advise you on what you need to do to comply with doc L

fensa was only set up to short cut this procedure.

I know all of that. Nothing new for me. The matter is a bit more complex.
As we live in an ex-council state all windows have to be similar in style (design). The original ones (wooden windows) can not be made in the same style in UPVC(the opening will be to small, I tried many options). Certainly will not pass when building control check them as UPVC has a different opening, there is no solution for the problem, and I have been doing a research for long time. At the other hand company fensa register are "cowboys", they do what they want and certify what they want. 98% off windows that are installed from a Fensa company are not checked and most of them do not comply with building regulation (but they are Fensa register).
If I do with them the responsibility at end it will be theirs. I don’t want to spend money installing the windows by myself and at the end building control creates a problem with me.
I will give you an example. My neiboughht changed their windows (6 months ago) with Anglian all windows are certified at Fensa website, I checked that by myself. None of them comply with building regulation and I know many, many more. If I would do the same windows DIY (by my self) building control never will let me keep them.

so long as the windows have energy efficient glazing, trickle vents, satisfy safety glazing criteria and have the correct openable apetures where escape openings are relevant then building control will be happy.

however, if you live in a conservation area or in an area where continuity of facade style is enforceable then planning and not building control is where you should be looking.

Sponsored Links
Why do these windows have to be specific types just because its ex-council? Is their some specific covenant in the deeds?

How can you say that most FENSA installations do not comply with building regs? Are you aware of the various methods to achieve compliance, the circumstances for relaxing the b/regs, or that the Approved Documents are not the actual b/regs - so those common guides on the councils websites are not what has to be done in practice?

I aware of the building regulation act 2002? that seems clear to me.
But I am not aware of how the building reg can be relaxed. This I don’t know. I spoke with 3 Fensa register companies and they also do not seam to have a clear position in what is inside building reg or outside. I mean what is accepted or not. They just use the same parameter. 45 cm opening as a minimum opening.
In our lease there is no clear statement of what style we should use. But it is a common sense thing as most of the windows are the same. The council wants to replace all windows in few years and will charge a lot of money for it. Most of lease holders has replaced by themselves, as it is impossible to continuous with the original ones( falling apart), in these cases the council will reduce the fees as windows is not needed (I know that from the other neighbours that has contacted them). But the council will not suport, autorised or give information on this officially) as they will loose money in the future. Dificult situation as if you have done, Fine. But if we ask to do the answer is no.
My statement that most Fensa company do not comply with building reg was repeated by 2 Fensa companys.
I have to say that I am a bit lost in all of that my the windows of my flat was all replaced apart from the 2 front ones. That we can not find a solution about it by ourselves.

our state it is definitly not in a conservation area.

There is nothing stopping you changing the style of the frames to ones of your choosing.

If the council are to do replacement at some future date, then when they serve the section 20 notice on you, you will have the opportunity to get involved in the procurement and tendering process, so the shared cost may be less than you will pay to replace the frames on your own.

Even if you do replace the frames yourself, you may still be charged a proportion of costs when the rest of the block has their windows changed. So you need to think carefully about this

We keep hearing from residents( dont know if they know about the procedure) that style of windows has to be the same. I also think that I may be able to change the style, but wondering what make you believe that we can change style of the frame? I am not disagree with you. I am just ttrying to understand. Based on what I can change the style of the windows?
The final costs to exchange windows.It will be very hight. The block opsite to our has all read received the bills and are very high. In my case there are just 2 windows that need replacement all rest in my flat was all read repalced. So I dont think it will be a good deal for me to do 2 windows with the council, they will have to pay a scarfolder just t do 2 windows. around me and flats above me they are all with new double glazing. council will have o put scrafolder just for my flat to replace 2 windows.
My only question is about the style.
People are saying that the council can order to remove the UPVC window to put theirs. I dont think that is a possibility but I would like to be sure that I can change the style of the frame.

The lease dictates what you can and can't do with the property.

If there is nothing in it to say that windows must be a certain style, then there is no contractural obligation to keep to a particular style and the council can not insist nor enforce their particular preference. Check your lease

When the landlord (ie the council) wants to carry out repairs and maintenance, then they must follow the rules set out in The Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act 2002. This Act gives the leaseholder the ability to get involved in maintenance work and costs, and so it is possible to drive down the costs that the council would have paid and would have charged to the various leaseholders

The council must also follow set procedures in order for any subsequent charges to be lawful. If they don't, then you can dispute the charges

I think you are right. But at the lease it says that we can not change the appearance of the facade of the building and windows and doors are part of the facade or? The doors has been changed and every flat has a completely different door. The Windows most of people has replaced with the same model as before, very few has changed with a different style(don't know if they will face problems in a the future about that). Concerning the windows leases says that windows replacement and maintenance it is responsability of the council but as I sad 70% of the flats has all read changed tired to wait till the council works start and avoiding to pay a big sum for a bad quality service.
My situation is I would consider to change completly the style of these 2 windows that we still have to replace. That would make easy to comply with build reg. Keeping original models will be a hard work to comply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back