Eaves Protection Systems etc

Lad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had some quotes for roofing work and there were mentions of Eaves Protection Systems, felt support trays and eaves trays in the different quotes. Am I right to think that they are all refering to the same thing? Something to direct rainwater into the gutter and looks like:

http://www.fascias.co.uk/en-gb/dept_151.html

I've also been told that this is not really necessary if the felt is cut in a way so that it overhangs into the gutter ie it directs rainwater into the gutter just like the systems mentioned above. Is this correct?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi The reason for including these systems at the eaves is to support the felt. It is not a new system as such feather edge board can be employed to achieve a similar effect. At the eaves a spring is formed (The last slate support is approx 10mm to 15 mm higher than the rest of the battens, if the felt is not supported any water that present holds at this point, more often than not running to an end and rotting out timber at this point)
Good Luck

Thanks, justlead1. Should I ask for Eaves Protection Sytem or felt support tray or are they the same thing but just named differently? They look the same to me.

Is it NOT advisable to leave these things out? The roofer said it should be fine without as there would be some felt that would overhang into the gutter therefore directing water into it. I assume this means water won't collect??? The roof is slated not tiled if it makes any difference.

Felt sags between rafters and can hold water leading to rot. Also the bit of felt that is exposed in the gutter quickly rots (UV and frost/weathering), and then the rain gets into the fascia or drips off the soffit and not into the gutter

A plastic tray to support the felt and drape in to the gutter is what is required. Call these what you like, but if a roofer says to leave them out, then I'd be looking for another roofer.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, ^woody^. Will make sure I get these fitted. Interestingly, it seems its common for them not to be used as I've spoken to other people who have told me they didn't get them placed in their (slated) roofs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back