mini digger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking about hiring one to dig the foundations for our garden shed/garage.

Need to dig depth of around 600mm, and around 20m in length.

How long will it take to learn how to use a mini digger and how long will it take to dig it?

While i got it, can use to dig a few old tree stumps out as well

Sponsored Links
Any good hire company should show you how to operate it when they deliver.
My experiance:
I hired one to dig a pond 20'x15' and remove an old rubble heap. To start with you move one control at a time til you get the hang of it then within half an hour you start doing two or three movements together. Even my 80 year old gran had a go and within five minutes was quite happy!
The rate of excavation is mostly down to where you are moving the waste our rubble heap filled two skips within an hour and a half because we parked the skips next to the heap and could just swing round and drop each bucket full. The pond took much longer as we had to drive each bucket load out to the skips. Still managed two more 8 yard skips that day.
It is good fun though!!!

can you hire something like a miniature dumper to take the spoil to the skip?

I wouldn't want to barrow it.

Im just going to put all spoil to one side of the garden. Will be using some of the good soil to level the garden out a bit

The only access where I can put a skip is at the front which means all spoil has to be barrowed out

Sponsored Links
Im just going to put all spoil to one side of the garden.

i hope you have a large garden!

have you thought about using a grab-loader service? we rarely use skips for digging spoil these days.

Cant get access to the back garden for anything big

Garden is big enought to hold spoil, any extra will have to be barrowed away either into skip or onto drive for a grab loader

What do grab loaders charge?

here in staffs around £160 per load. they take almost double a skip load.

Will possibly do that.

Did see on ebay and auction which stated free hire of digger for one day only but delivery fee may apply.

Called them, only to find out that they want £45 each way for delivery, making it £90 which sounded expensive.

Is this a good price or not?

Just had a word with him and its company policy due to insurance that they have to deliver and collect.

Anyone know of a cheaper place to hire a digger from?

you can hire a digger for an entire week, including diesel and transport for £280.00, from my local. ;)

you can hire a digger for an entire week, including diesel and transport for £280.00, from my local. ;)

Good price but only need for a day or 2.

Im hoping I can dig the footings in a day really to save on cost

There's someone on ebay in Wolverhampton that does it for £70, gonna see what his delivery charges are, and if he can provide this week

for an experianced driver with some guys doing the barrow wouldnt take long at all. On your own and if your not used to it then hire it for a weekend. If you hire it for a day most companies wont take it off hire till you tell them youve finished with it, so it doesnt matter if you need longer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back