JCB Hover bust + recommendations (FIXED!)

C

Coniferman

Have a JCB ACR360 about 2 years old. Been rubbish since day one - always clogs up, never collects grass, frequently trips the overheat protection neading to be left for 20 minutes to reset. Hard work unless grass already very short.

It was struggling in some long grass and then stopped working - dead. Left it to cool down but still not working. Is it for the bin? Is it possible the overheat "fuse" has blown and can be replaced? I have checked the mains fuse is good and checked the on/off switch lever is operating. Anything else to test?

Failing this any recommendations:

Medium size garden
Grass collection
Can cope with slightly unlevel ground, stepping stones and narrow corners.
Electric.
Not too big to store.

Only used hover mowers before, will a cylinder be better/easier.

Sponsored Links
God knows why JCB ever got involved in this sort of stuff, all their tools are utter crap.
Get yourself a flymo, can't go far wrong with them!

Get yourself a flymo, can't go far wrong with them!

That might be the answer. I have a small flymo "hover vac" which is fine for the front but much too hard work at the back. The box needs emptying every two minutes otherwise it gets bogged down and I don't let the grass get all THAT long. It also has silly little plastic blades.

Maybe one of their larger models with a metal blade will suit??

I would welcome any other opinions whether to stay hovered or not! Made two bad decisions here - want to be 3rd time lucky!

Sponsored Links
FIXED IT !

Figured nothing to lose so started taking it apart with a screwdriver. Didn't get very far before finding the spring loaded switch that disconnects the motor when the grass box is removed. Multimeter said open circuit even though the box was still in place. Dried grass had lodged inside the mechanism preventing it from closing properly. Bit of a clean and all working again!

Maybe that was causing some of the cutting out problems too!

oh well guess I am stuck with it for another year or two :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back