Laying a patio - is mortar a must?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Most of you have probably thought - what a knobhead!

However, a couple of years ago I did pave a small area in front of my shed with 2x2 concrete slabs laying them just on a bed of sand. I only needed 6 slabs but they are still level and steady, and there aren't even any weeds growing between them.

I'm now going to pave an area of 2x2 meters with limestone (4cm thick) in a random pattern, and was thinking to do it as follows.

Firstly, I would dig up 10cm of topsoil and put a weed membrane in, then cover it with 6cm sharp sand, compact and level it. Then I was going to lay flags on top and fill the gaps with aggregate. Maybe leave a couple of square shaped gaps, pierce the membrane and plant an odd creeping plant there, and put gravel or pebbles around it..

The area is for light foot traffic only. The reason I am trying to get away without using mortar is because I might want to do it over again in five years or so. Also I'm after that rustic look.

Is this idea completely insane?

Sponsored Links
Is this idea completely insane?

Insane - no

Your idea - yes

Personally I'd always use a solid mortar bed for laying slabs but then since I expect people to pay me for my work and not come back to me later to complain about weeds/settlement there isn't a choice.

However, it's up to you and local ground conditions will be the main criteria in determining the feasibility or workability of the plan.

no its not completeley insane. Certain slabs can be laid that way, its very similar to how block paving is laid. Id still rather lay them on a full bed of mortar, same boat as shenks

Thanks to both of you. I'll try and see what it looks/feels like. At the end of the day if it appears unstable I can always lift the flags and do it properly.

Sponsored Links
Solid bed???
Do i mix sharp sand and cement (6-1) add water so i get a brick type mortar feel, then cover whole bed under slab??

As Thermo has said, block driveways should be layed on a bed of sand. My neighbour had his driveway layed onto solid concrete slab (with sand on top) this has made for a rock solid driveway, but it has serious run off problems, due to the concrete slab no being permeable. So yes you can do it, but you need to ensure that the edges are bound, either by walls or haunched edgings, otherwise you run the risk of the sand spreading and the whole thing becoming unstable.

My dad did ours over 20 years ago. He says kill the weeds, 4" scalpings bashed flat, a bed of sand and bob's yer something. Ours is still flat and level and looks good.

Good luck
LadyElle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back